Water damage can be devastating for your home, especially if mold is able to grow. Fortunately, you can prevent or reduce damage to your home from mold if you get immediate water damage repair in Dunwoody. Here are some things to do after sustaining water damage to help prevent mold growth.
Before you take any steps towards taking care of water damage so that mold won’t grow, be sure the area is safe to enter. Document all the damage and make sure there isn’t any gas or electrical hazards before you enter the area.
Once the area’s safe, you need to remove standing water from the area immediately. Depending on the severity of the flood, a wet/dry vacuum can do quite a bit of the work. You may need to rent a heavier duty vacuum or a special pump. If you’re unsure if the water is contaminated with sewage or chemicals, either wait for professionals from 24-hour water damage repair in Dunwoody, or be sure you’re wearing appropriate protective gear.
Once the flood water is removed, you’ll need to remove any items that have been saturated, like rugs, carpet, and furniture. Many of these items can be salvaged, but you should steam clean them in order to remove any contaminants. Drying these items in sunlight reduces the chances of mold growth. If insulation or drywall is saturated, it should be removed as well. All the remaining surfaces should then be dried as thoroughly as possible.
Cleaning is another important step in preventing mold growth. It’s best to use a HEPA vacuum to make sure mold spores and other particles are trapped. The framing and other affected surfaces should be cleaned with a mild detergent and then vacuumed again. There are numerous cleansers that will be effective for killing bacteria and mold.
The room (including the air) needs to be dried as quickly as possible to prevent mold growth. If weather permits, the windows should be opened. Regular household fans or industrial fans should also be used to keep the air circulating constantly. A dehumidifier will probably be necessary as well in order to keep the humidity level below 50% or else mold will likely grow.